Global Hiring Outlook Mixed for First Quarter of 2020, Strengthening in 12 Countries and Softening in 26
"We are seeing more hesitant hiring plans for Q1, impacted by increased volatility and expectations of slowing economic growth, especially in the manufacturing sector."
View complete Q1 2020 survey results: www.manpowergroup.com/meos
Global Hiring Plans by Region
EMEA: The strongest Q1 employment outlooks are reported by employers in
- Employers in
Francereport the strongest hiring intentions in 12 years (+7%), driven by a record-high +19% outlook in Restaurants & Hotels, a +10% outlook in Manufacturing and a +8% outlook in Finance & Business Services. Germanyrecorded an outlook of +4%, a decrease of five percentage points year-over-year and the third consecutive quarter of declines. Manufacturing (+1%) and Finance & Business Services (+3%) outlooks were the weakest for almost four and 10 years, respectively.
- The +2% outlook reported by employers in the
UKis the weakest in over seven years. Employers in Londonreported a -1% outlook, the region's lowest in over nine years, with the +1% overall outlook for Englandthe joint lowest on record. Employers in the Manufacturing (+2%) and Mining & Quarrying (+2%) sectors were the only industries with year-over-year increases.
- U.S. employers (+19%) report nine consecutive quarters of the region's most optimistic hiring intentions, though the outlook is down one percentage point year-over-year. The strongest hiring plans are reported by employers in Leisure & Hospitality (+30%), Construction (+22%), Professional & Business Services (+22%) and Wholesale & Retail Trade (+22%), though hiring intentions weakened year-over-year in 10 of the 13 sectors surveyed.
- Employers in
Argentinaand Brazilreported the region's biggest year-over-year hiring increases, by five and two percentage points, respectively. Outlooks in the Construction sector were significant contributors to these increases, with hiring intentions increasing by 22 percentage points in Argentinaand 10 percentage points in Brazil. Panama's-1% outlook was the only nationwide negative figure of all 43 countries surveyed. The country's Manufacturing sector saw employer hiring intentions weaken by 14 percentage points both year-over-year and quarter-over-quarter.
- For the seventh consecutive quarter, employers in
Japanreport the strongest outlook (+25%) in the Asia Pacificregion, driven by the Mining & Construction (+38%) and Services (+29%) sectors. Singapore's+9% outlook marked the region's strongest quarter-over-quarter increase, of five percentage points. This was driven by growing hiring intentions in the Public Admin/Education and Finance, Insurance & Real Estate sectors, which grew year-over-year by 16 and 8 percentage points, respectively.
- Despite recording a two-percentage-point increase in hiring intentions compared with the previous quarter, employers in
Chinareported the Asia Pacificregion's weakest outlook at +6%.
To view complete results for the
*The Net Employment Outlook is derived by taking the percentage of employers anticipating an increase in hiring activity and subtracting from this the percentage of employers expecting a decrease in hiring activity.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-hiring-outlook-mixed-for-first-quarter-of-2020-strengthening-in-12-countries-and-softening-in-26-300971881.html
Danielle Switalski, +1 (414) 248-7431, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Emma Almond, +1 (414) 544-1489, email@example.com